Master’s in Secondary Education Online
A master’s in secondary education online is applicable for students having a bachelor’s degree, irrespective of the subject. This degree is suitable for students who want to earn a certification for secondary school teaching. It focuses on preparing graduate students who wish to further their education and work in different teaching and administrative positions, providing flexibility to continue with doctoral programs and training in related domains of education. According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), occupations in education are expected to grow by 10% between 2020 and 2030, making this degree a promising career growth for graduates. Read on to discover more about the online secondary education master’s.
Featured Online Programs
Best Master’s in Secondary Education Online
Every student deserves a well-balanced program that boosts their career and provides them with the correct learning. When choosing from online master’s in secondary education degree programs, graduates should check for essential factors such as the total credit hours, institution ranking, course-affordability, scholarships, quality of faculty, student services, institution infrastructure, coursework, professional licensure, and certification. OMC teams have researched hundreds of master’s degrees across the country and narrowed in on the best master’s in secondary education online for prospective students. Here is the list:Link to This
|College Name & Address||Tuition||Graduation Rate|
New York University
70 Washington Sq South, New York, New York 10012
University of Southern California
University Park, Los Angeles, California 90089
North Carolina State University
2101 Hillsborough Street, Raleigh, North Carolina 27695
201 Sikes Hall, Clemson, South Carolina 29634
200 South Capitol Street, Clinton, Mississippi 39058
Ball State University
2000 University Ave, Muncie, Indiana 47306
1971 University Blvd, Lynchburg, Virginia 24515
California State University-Fullerton
800 N State College Blvd, Fullerton, California 92831
Kennesaw State University
1000 Chastain Rd, Kennesaw, Georgia 30144
Georgia Southern University
1332 Southern Drive, Statesboro, Georgia 30460
University of Louisiana at Monroe
700 University Avenue, Monroe, Louisiana 71209
University of New Mexico-Main Campus
1700 Lomas Blvd NE, Albuquerque, New Mexico 87106
Georgia College & State University
231 W Hancock Street, Milledgeville, Georgia 31061
University of North Texas
1501 W.Chestnut Ave., Denton, Texas 76203
The University of Alabama
739 University Blvd, Tuscaloosa, Alabama 35487
San Diego State University
5500 Campanile Dr, San Diego, California 92182
University of North Carolina at Charlotte
9201 University City Blvd, Charlotte, North Carolina 28223
University of the Cumberlands
6191 College Station Drive, Williamsburg, Kentucky 40769
University of Maryland Global Campus
3501 University Blvd East, Adelphi, Maryland 20783
University of Maine
168 College Avenue, Orono, Maine 04469
Source – Integrated Post Secondary Education Data System & University Data
*Tuition rates are for in-state and per year. Program specific rates may apply.
**NA – data not available
Understanding Master’s in Secondary Education Online
The master’s in secondary education online degree helps students further their professional growth and leadership skills while attaining integrative knowledge simultaneously. The program is designed for bachelor’s students who want to qualify for state teaching certification while parallelly earning their master’s degree. Students can choose from different areas of certification like English, General Science, Mathematics, and so on. Upon completion of the program, they will qualify to teach at public and private schools. This program is 30 to 40 credit hours, depending on the institution, program format, concentration, coursework, and add-on courses. The program can be accessed on campus, online, and in a hybrid mode that blends both. Fieldwork experience is a crucial part of the online secondary education degree. With most colleges providing around 75 plus hours of field experience, students have the opportunity of being employed as teachers and can also complete their coursework and requirements of teaching simultaneously. Field placements, part of the curriculum, can be completed in school districts convenient for students.
Master’s in Secondary Education Online Degree Types
Three types of degrees are available for students wanting to pursue an online secondary education master’s. They are Master of Arts or MA in secondary education online, Master of Science or MS in secondary education online, and Master of Education or M.Ed. in secondary education online.
Master of Arts in Secondary Education
The Master of Arts in Secondary Education or MA secondary education is designed for students who have earned a bachelor’s degree in non-education fields but want to be considered teachers at the secondary level. It provides an understanding of diverse needs in education, cultural dynamics, and social concerns that secondary schools might go through currently.
Master of Science in Secondary Education
The Master of Science in Secondary Education or MS secondary education provides students with instructional techniques and field experience. This program is suitable for students with an undergraduate degree in a discipline other than education. Depending on the institutions, varied concentrations are available to them, like English, Computer Science, Mathematics, and so on.
Master of Education in Secondary Education
The Master of Education in Secondary Education or M.Ed. secondary education focuses on the needs and subject areas promising for current secondary school students. This program would prepare students to teach through grades seven to twelve in their chosen concentrations, such as Social Studies, Mathematics, and so on.
Specializations in Master’s in Secondary Education Online Programs
Specializations at a graduate level will help students focus on specific areas of study and strengthen their knowledge and skill. Specializing in one major area could help them gain expertise, leading to higher industry recognition. Although a master’s in secondary education is a highly skilled field, having secondary education specializations along with the degree could help graduates with better career prospects, higher salaries, and a broader scope of employment. Here are a few specializations available to students in institutions providing a master’s in secondary education online:
|Area of Specialization||Description|
|History Education||This specialization equips students to teach different subjects related to history without the requirement of an additional degree. Topics include American politics, state history, world history, and other historical topics.|
|Biology Education||The specialization in biology will prepare students to teach biology subjects to secondary school students. The focus here is on high-quality research and a strong foundation in biology.|
|Social Science Education||The specialization in social science prepares graduates on the backgrounds necessary to teach students about the historical and social foundation of society as we know it today. Future teachers gain expertise in geography, civics, government, and economics.|
|General Science Education||The general science specialization provides the essential tools and methods for those aiming to teach science to elementary and secondary students. The focus is on building a strong foundation in the subject and parallelly developing research expertise as well.|
|Mathematics Education||The specialization in mathematics helps graduates develop an understanding of how to teach math in a setting of a secondary school. The focus is on creating effective strategies to analyze and deliver mathematics lessons to students.|
|Arts Education||The specialization in arts education aims at preparing teachers who could develop strategies in artmaking and creatively teach students. The focus is on students exploring works of art through cultural, socio-political, and historical viewpoints.|
|Foreign Language Education||The specialization in World or foreign languages focuses on languages like Chinese, German, Italian, Spanish, and so on, depending on the institution. Here, the focus is on the deliverance of language subjects effectively to students in secondary school settings.|
|Reading Education||The specialization in reading focuses on developing the skills required to be reading specialists, especially in assessment, instruction, and literacy development. Students focus on enhancing instruction for school students struggling with reading.|
Curriculum and Skills Gained in Master’s in Secondary Education Online Programs
The master’s in secondary education online requires 30 to 45 credits to complete. This program consists of a curriculum that meets the professional standards required for teaching across the country and prepares graduates for certification as secondary education teachers. The program is known for empirical research and on-ground field work for addressing the educational needs of a diverse set of students. Students can expect an interdisciplinary approach focusing on extensive field-based experiences and developing content and pedagogical practices. While some programs may require students to complete teaching requirements, others may require a capstone. Most programs have designed similar coursework for secondary education master programs. Some of the standard secondary education courses include but are not limited to:
- Improving Instruction
- Advanced Planning and Managing
- Functions and Methods of Research
- Disciplinary Literacy
- Advanced Middle School Curriculum and Instruction
- Teaching Individuals with Disabilities in Integrated Settings
- Inclusive Classroom
- Design for Learning with Digital Media
- Literacy and Content Skill Development
- Effectively and clearly communicate technical information in written and oral formats;
- Synthesize and evaluate information to address technical challenges;
- Assemble and source evidence to identify gaps and address questions in knowledge in the field of food science;
- Apply the fundamental principles of food science in required coursework and research;
- Design, formulate, interpret and conduct food science research;
- Interrogate theoretical food science and analysis principles and statistical design with practical applications to address real-world issues;
- Assess the involvement of sustainability in food science and nutrition;
- Exhibit ethical resonating and leadership;
- Apply scientific knowledge to solve and evaluate food science problems; and
- Interact effectively with scientific teams.
Upon graduating with a master’s in secondary education online degree, graduates will be skilled to take up diverse roles in education based on the expertise and knowledge they acquired through the program. Some skills they will attain upon graduating from the program include the ability to:
- Use the methods of development to focus on the physical, social, cognitive, and personal development of students;
- Integrate current practices of education with advancing technology in the classroom;
- Use skillsets to build diverse curricula and assessments and enhance students’ performance in a school setting;
- Use the enhanced curriculum to focus on diverse learning needs and focus on inclusion to instruct and accommodate students with special needs in a regular classroom environment;
- Use skills learned through field-based coursework on implementing strategies and skills clearly and effectively for students struggling with complex school coursework;
- Encourage students and instill curiosity in them by using different modes of the deliverance of content and assessing areas of improvement by taking feedback from students;
- Demonstrate an empathetic approach to students and deliver instructions to them promptly utilizing the resources available in a classroom as well as their immediate environment;
- Use skills to create a supportive and engaging classroom environment that enriches the student’s experience of education; at the same time, deliver high-quality content keeping in mind the diverse needs of students in a secondary classroom setting;
- Demonstrate high standards of professionalism expected by institutions and the field of education and specialization they are related to; and
- Make quick judgments and solve the problems of students based on their expertise in academics and on-ground experience during their fieldwork.
Accreditation for Master’s in Secondary Education Online Programs
Accreditation is the process of a holistic assessment of an institution to evaluate them meeting established academic standards. Accreditations reflect the quality of the institution and could affect education immensely. Students should keep in mind that just because a program is accredited, it does not qualify the intuition with accreditation and vice versa. Accreditation helps prospective students identify acceptable institutions and determine factors like the availability of federal financial aid and the transfer of credits. Therefore, they should evaluate this criterion thoroughly to make an informed decision. For more information on accreditation, students can go through the Accreditation Guide. Some of the accrediting bodies in the United States are:
- New England Association of Schools and Colleges (NEASC)
- Middle States Commission on Higher Education (MSCHE)
- Higher Learning Commission (HLC)
- Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC)
- Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities (NWCCU)
- Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC) Senior College and University Commission (WSCUC)
Accredited master’s in secondary education colleges and programs should preferably be accredited by the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP). CAEP is a professional accreditor that accredits teacher education programs in U.S. institutions.
Timeline for graduation from Master’s in Secondary Education Online Programs
Most master’s of secondary education online degree programs require 30 to 45 credits and about 16 to 24 months to complete. However, the coursework, capstone, fieldwork, concertation, program structure, synchronous vs. asynchronous classes, and other factors would determine the exact duration of the program. Students can take up the coursework either full-time or part-time.
- Full-time: a full-time master in secondary education online is an intensive mode of study that requires 16 to 24 months to complete the degree, depending on the program.
- Part-time: a part-time master’s in secondary education online is a flexible mode of study that gives students the option of taking their course on a more customized schedule. This is best suited for individuals pursuing full-time jobs or research work for their master’s. Part-time programs would generally require between 24 and 48 months to complete.
Master’s in Secondary Education Online Programs Admission Requirements
An online secondary education master’s has a set of requirements that prospective students need to meet to get admitted to the program. Each institution has its own set of requirements and criteria depending on how the program structure has been designed. Here are the most common master’s in secondary education online admission requirements:
- Submission of an online application
- Minimum two letters of recommendation (academic or professional depending on the concentration or requirement specified by the institution)
- Minimum one official transcript showing a bachelor’s degree or progress towards a degree
- One official transcript showing all work after a bachelor’s degree
- A minimum Grade Point Average (GPA) of 2.75 on a scale of 4.0
- A Graduate Résumé
- A Statement of Purpose or Personal Statement
- A copy of the teaching certificate of verification of eligibility for licensure may be required by some institutions.
Master’s in Secondary Education Online No GRE Programs
Students applying for graduate programs are required to submit Graduate Record Examination (GRE) scores while applying. However, at some institutions, applicants with degrees from other accredited universities would be considered without a qualifying GRE score if they have a minimum of 2.75 GPA in their previous coursework and have considerable work experience. Here are examples of some schools offering master’s in secondary education online no GRE programs:
- Clemson University College of Education – offers an online master of arts in a teaching program in secondary education, with no GRE
- Mississippi State University – offers an online master’s of science in secondary education, no GRE.
- Temple University – offers a Master of Education in secondary education, no GRE.
Accelerated Master’s in Secondary Education Online Programs
Accelerated master’s programs help students complete their master’s coursework in less time than stipulated. They benefit students interested in earning initial licensure to teach in their respective states soon after graduating. Such programs are economical and help students complete coursework with no residency requirement; they can transfer credits and fast-track the program as well. Here are a couple of colleges offering accelerated master’s in secondary education online:
- San Diego State University – offers an accelerated online master’s in secondary education degree with 24 credit hours that can be finished in one year by completing capstone projects and oral and written exit exams.
- William Carey University – offers an accelerated online master’s in secondary education degree with 30 credit hours of coursework that can be finished in less than two years.
Free Courses for Master’s in Secondary Education Online Students
There are no credible, free online master’s in secondary education programs available for graduates. However, a few free courses in the field of secondary education are available online, which could be used by students to build on their skills, knowledge, and expertise. These free courses are not accredited and cannot be used in place of accredited courses to get lucrative jobs. Nonetheless, they are useful to students who want to gain additional knowledge and better understand their field of interest. Here are a few free master’s in secondary education online courses:
|Courses on Education and Development||Open Learn- Open University||Open Learn offers various academic courses in Education and Development on various topics.|
|Courses on Teaching and Academics||Alison||Alison provides courses on teaching and Academics that facilitate child development, teaching assistant fundamentals, and motivating factors in education.|
|Courses on Education Innovation and Improvement||EdX||EdX provides online classes and courses in education that cover a diverse range of topics from pedagogy to teaching methodology and more.|
How to Pay for a Master’s in Secondary Education Online Program
A master’s in secondary education degree online program cost depends on the institution, program, and specialization selected. The cost of the master’s degree could also vary depending on delivery format and enrollment status. Unverified sources peg the tuition fee for a secondary education master’s between $8,200 and $35,350 (or more), depending on the institution. To offset the high tuition fees, prospective students can consider the following sources of financial aid:
Students with good academic records can apply for scholarships in their relevant institutions. Several factors qualify a student to apply for a scholarship like community, socioeconomic background, and so on. Students are frequently given scholarships based on their academic performance by institutions, national organizations, or individual agencies.
Grants are funds provided by a public body, charitable foundations, or institutions making grants. They are offered for research and education in specific groups. Grants differ from scholarships in that they are not solely based on academic merit. An applicant’s financial need is usually considered while giving a grant.
Graduate assistantships are employment in the institution where one is studying. They are obtained based on academic merit and referrals or recommendations provided by faculty. Most assistantships are provided in the same department where one is studying. Such assistantships are essential to apply the knowledge learned by the student in practical situations, and being supervised by experienced faculty increases expertise in one’s academic specialty.
The Free Application for Federal Student Aid or FAFSA is a form completed by prospective and current students in the United States. It is filled to understand the eligibility for student financial aid and the possibility of receiving financial assistance from the United States Federal Government.
Students can learn more about college funding, Scholarship Scams, and additional information in the Financial Aid Guide.
Scholarships for Master’s in Secondary Education Online Students
Scholarships are financial aid that could help students further their education. They could be awarded based on different criteria, such as academic merit, athletic skills, diversity, inclusion, and so on, depending on the donor. It is always advisable for Information about Graduate School Scholarships to be researched by students before applying. Here are some scholarships for master’s degrees in secondary education programs:
The AFCEA educational foundation offers competitive scholarships for students pursuing graduate degrees or credentials or licensure for engineering, science, technology, teaching, or math (STEM) subjects at U.S. schools in grades K-12.
May 31, 2023
Pi Lambda Theta Graduate Student Scholar Award
This scholarship is awarded to students who have completed at least 12 credit hours of a graduate degree in education. The student must have a graduate GPA of 3.75. They should have made unique contributions to their education discipline.
April 1, annually
This scholarship is awarded for full-time study for one academic year. The students should be enrolled in a degree program in either elementary or secondary education.
$500 to $1,000
FAQs about the Master in Secondary Education online Program
|Q. What is a master’s in secondary education?|
|A. Secondary education prepares students aged 14 to 19 for higher education. A master’s in secondary education online degree is for individuals with a bachelor’s degree in any discipline who want to earn secondary school teacher certification and for teachers with licenses who wish to further training in their domain.|
|Q. What can you do with a master’s in secondary education degree?|
|A.Having a master’s degree in secondary education will help professionals teach in middle and high school. This degree will benefit a student’s career in the industry of education. It can help them get specialist teaching, consultancy, leadership, and administrative positions.|
|Q. How long is a secondary education master’s?|
|A.The secondary education master’s degree program takes an average of two years to complete. The duration might depend on the learning styles, classroom management, administrative issues in education, lesson plan of college, and mode of delivery taken by the student. The duration of the program might also depend on field experience, assistantship, and various such criteria depending on the institution|
|Q. Is a secondary education master worth it?|
|A. A master’s in secondary education can increase a person’s expertise, knowledge, and skills in the field of education. The program is apt for individuals looking to work with students in grades 6-12 and seeking teacher certification. It can increase the teacher’s classroom strategies and understanding of how to work with students better and create better classroom resources.|
|Q. Can I do a master’s in secondary education without an undergraduate education degree or teacher certification?|
|A. Most institutions providing a master’s in secondary education have a basic requirement for a bachelor’s degree with a minimum GPA of 2.75 and a preferred GPA of 3.0 or higher on a 4.0 scale. There is no requirement for an undergraduate education degree specified in most cases. The student can complete their bachelors in any academic or non-academic field.|
|Q. Master’s in education vs. master’s in secondary education – what is the difference?|
|A. Master’s in education can help the student emphasize a specific area of interest like administration, special education, language instruction, or primary or secondary education. On the other hand, the master’s in secondary education is aimed at students who want to further their knowledge and expertise to teach students in grades 6 to 12.|
Careers and Salary Outlook for Master’s in Secondary Education Online Graduates
Earning an online master’s in secondary education will give graduates a scope to work in secondary school settings. They can take up several other diverse roles in designing curricula, leadership, creating resources and instructional material, and so on for secondary school students. Graduates also have the option to work in public and private schools and educational institutions in administrative positions.
Apart from teaching, there are other roles in secondary education where graduates can use their secondary education online master’s. Here are examples of some job roles:
- Instructional Coordinator
- Adult Literacy and High School Equivalent Diploma Teacher
- Educational Policy developer
- Curriculum Developer
- Instructional Design Specialist
- Education and Content Writer
- Educational Consultant
- Youth Program Director
- School Operations Manager
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor of Statistics (BLS), secondary school teachers instructing high school students in a variety of subjects have an annual median salary of $61,820 with a job outlook of 8% between 2020 and 2030. This projection is as fast as the average for all occupations. Listed below are highlights of some statistical data by the U.S Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) on a few career options that graduates can consider after earning a secondary education online master’s:
|Occupation||Median Annual Salary||Job Growth (up to 2030)||Job Description|
|Middle School Principal||$98,420||8% (as fast as average)||Middle school principals oversee all school operations, including daily school activities. They supervise employees, plan curriculum, and ensure children have a safe and productive learning environment.|
|Instructional Coordinators||$63,740||10% (as fast as average)||Instructional coordinators oversee school curricula and teaching standards. They are also responsible for developing instructional material, implementing resources, and assessing effectiveness.|
|School and Career Counselors and Advisors||$60,510||11% (faster than average)||School counselors help students in developing their academic and social skills. Career counselors and advisors also help people in choosing a path to employment.|
|Librarians and Library Media Specialists||$61,190||9% (as fast as average)||Librarians and library media specialists help people find information about conducting research for personal or professional use. They work for local governments, schools, and other diverse organizations.|
Certifications and Licensing for Master’s in Secondary Education Online Graduates
Certifications are designated credentials given to individuals to verify their competency and legitimacy to perform a job. Certification shows that the person, as a professional, is trained and educated to meet a specific set of criteria to perform the role of secondary education teacher. Professional certifications are earned through an educational institution or professional organization. However, licensure is required by law and obtained through a state agency.
Most schools require teachers to obtain secondary education teacher licensure to teach grades 6 to 12. The online master in secondary education program often prepares students to complete state certification/licensure exams in their respective states. Each state has its specific requirement or licensure requirements; here, the geographical location of the graduate and where they are placed for fieldwork is critical. Students should explore requirements and programs for teaching certification for better clarity.
Another board-based certification for online master’s in secondary education graduates to consider, which is recognized in many states, is National Board Certification. It was designed to develop, recognize, and retain accomplished teachers and generate ongoing improvement in schools nationwide. It is one of the highest certifications a teacher can obtain.
Additional Resources for Master’s in Secondary Education Online Graduates
A master’s in secondary education online student could benefit from a diverse range of resources when they join different organizations. These institutions could offer some common features like career aid and certification programs. Students could benefit from teachers’ involvement in education leadership organizations, while accessing other resources could provide expertise, teaching methodologies, curriculum ideas, and development of different tactics for classroom administration. Here are a few resources to gain more insights:
- National Education Association – The National Education Association is the largest organization representing professional employees. It aims to promote and advance educators in different public education fields, from preschool to graduate programs. Association members can access discounted legal services, lesson plans, discussion forums, and other classroom activities.
- American Federation of Teachers – The American Federation of Teachers is a union of professionals focusing on democracy, economic opportunities, healthcare and public services for students, and high-quality public education. The organization focuses on community engagement through the work of its members.
- Association of Leadership Educators – The Association of Leadership Educators is a grassroots-level volunteer organization that is personal, inclusive, collaborative, and adaptable. As leadership educators, they focus on empirical knowledge and practical experience to promote educational initiatives supporting people, organizations, and communities.
- Association of International Education Administrators – The Association of International Education Administrators is exclusively dedicated to senior leaders in the field of international education. Members serve as leaders of higher education institutions and organizations that support international higher education.
- Association of American Educators – The Association of American Educators is one of the largest national professional educator organizations, advancing the profession by offering a modern outlook on teacher representations and advocacy of education. They focus on promoting professionalism, excellence, and collaboration in the field of education.
Disclaimer: Any views or opinions expressed on this page are those of Online Masters Colleges’ (OMC’s) researchers and teams. Unless specifically indicated, they do not represent the thoughts and opinions of the people, institutions, or organizations mentioned. This page’s provided content is solely for informational purposes. OMC or its employees make no guarantees of the accuracy or completeness of any information on this page or found by following any link. OMC will not be held liable for any mistakes or omissions in this material, nor will it be held liable for any losses, injuries, or damages resulting from the exposure or use of this information. Although the material on this page is/was correct at the time of publication, reader discretion is always advised because part or all the provided information may have changed over time, potentially leading to inaccuracies.